For many of us, 2020, the year of COVID-19, was one of the most challenging years to date. We have been tested mentally, physically, and emotionally. Our hearts go out to anyone who has experienced financial hardship or the passing of a loved one.
The good news: Vaccines are becoming more widely available!
The not so good news:
- There are no oral medications available to help prevent COVID-19 infection.
- There are no treatment options available for COVID-19 symptoms that aren’t severe enough to require hospital admission.
Luckily, the healing power of plants may offer us an effective, more widely available solution. What if we told you that a phytochemical found in cruciferous vegetables has the potential to impact the prevention and treatment of COVID-19? Yes, we are talking about sulforaphane here people!
Hippocrates once said, “thy food is thy medicine, and thy medicine is thy food.” This is a perfect description for one of our favorite foods, broccoli sprouts!
- Rich in vitamins A, C, E, K and minerals, such selenium, phosphorous, and magnesium.
- Contain less anti-nutrients (thanks to sprouting), which means they are easier to digest and their nutrients are better absorbed by our bodies.
- But most of all……Broccoli sprouts have very high levels of phytochemicals that have been shown to be extremely beneficial for our health!
Edible sprouts have been eaten for thousands of years. Chinese and ancient Egyptians ate sprouts as a “health food”, especially for the purposes of healing and rejuvenation. In this post, we will explain what sprouts are, why they are one of the most nutritious foods on the planet, and why you should include them in your diet!